Quantcast

Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

TeCh_GuY
Administrator
Fill in the Blank

1. Windows Easy Transfer supports two types of migrations, called ______a______ and _____b____?
     a. Side by Side
     b. Wipe and Load

2. When a serious problem occurs with Windows 7, you might be able to repair it by starting the Windows PE operating system and running diagnostic tools, In this scenario, Windows PE is called by another name, which is ______a______.
     a. Windows RE (Windows Recovery Environment) - name given to a Windows PE on a computer with Windows 7 already installed.

3. To migrate use profile information from one computer to another, you can use either _____a_____ or _____b_____.
     a. Windows Easy Transfer - GUI
     b. User State Migration Tool (USMT) – Command Line Interface

4. A computer running Windows PE will automatically reboot after _____a_____.
     a. 72 Hours

5. Windows Easy Transfer supports migration using any removable storage medium common to the two computers except ______a_______.
     a. Floppy Disks – They have insufficient capacity.

6. The Windows 7 component that enables the computer to support more than one language is called the ______a______.
     a. MUI (Multi-Language User Interface)

7. The reason it is possible to remove the Windows 7 installation disk to supply the Setup program with drivers is that Windows PE run on a ____a____.
     a. RAM disk

8. To upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7, you must perform a _____a_____.
     a. Clean Install

9. The files and settings that Windows Easy Transfer can migrate to a Windows 7 computer and primarily stored in _______a_______.
     a. User Profile Folder

10. As a preinstallation environment, Windows PE is a vast improvement over MS-DOS because it includes internal support for _____a_____ and _____b_____.
     a. Networking
     b. NTFS

True/False

1. Windows PE is the latest version of the MS-DOS operating system.
     FALSE

2. It is possible to perform an in-place upgade from any 32-bit version of Windows Vista to the 32-bit version of Windows 7.
     FALSE

3. To create a dual boot environment with Windows 7, you must have two primary partitions on your computer.
     TRUE

4. Windows 7 Home Premium users can perform in-place upgrades to Windows 7 Professional without obtaining a new installation disk.
     TRUE

5. One way to perform an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 is to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk, choose the Custom option, and then select the partition on which Windows Vista is installed.
     TRUE

6. To create a Windows 7 workstation that supports multiple languages, you must begin by installing the English language version.
     FALSE

7. It is not possible to “upgrade” a computer running the Windows 7 Ultimate edition to the Enterprise edition without performing a clean installation.
     FALSE

8. Windows XP users are eligible to purchase an upgrade version of Windows 7, but they cannot perform an in-place upgrade.
     TRUE

9. To migrate the user profiles of multiple user accounts located in the same computer you must use the User State Migration Tool.
     FALSE

10. Any program that can run on Windows 7 can run on Windows PE.
     FALSE

Review Questions

1. Give two detailed reasons why Windows PE is a better installation environment for Windows 7 than MS-DOS.
     a. Native 32-bit and 64-bit support. (Enables the computer to address memory just as the full Windows 7 operating system does.) MS-DOS is a 16-bit OS and is relatively limited in its memory addressing capabilities.
     b. Internal NTFS Support. (Supports both NTFS and FAT file systems) MS-DOS supports FAT file system.

2. Explain the difference between a side-by –side migration and a wipe-and-load migration using Windows Easy Transfer.
     a. Side-by-side migration - Uses a USB cable or network media to transfer files directly from the old machine to the new machine.
     b. Wipe-and-Load – Uses an external storage device to transfer the files to for temporary storage. Perform a clean install of Windows 7. Connect external storage device after clean install and transfer the files and settings from the external device back to the computer.
Speedtest Result Counterstrike Tag

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Hellequin
Thank you!

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

DreamWeaver
Thanks :-) whew!!

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Dreameaver
need chapter 3

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Jason
This post was updated on .
You need to review some of your T/F answers. There are a couple that are wrong.

Thanks though. This was very helpful!

2. It is possible to perform an in-place upgade from any 32-bit version of Windows Vista to the 32-bit version of Windows 7.
     TRUE

It is possible to go from 32 bit to 32 bit and 64 bit to 64 bit as an in-place upgrade, but cannot go from 32 to 64 or 64 to 32 without a clean installation.

5. One way to perform an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 is to boot from the Windows 7 installation disk, choose the Custom option, and then select the partition on which Windows Vista is installed.
     FALSE

This one is a trick question in my opinion, it says one way to do an IN-PLACE upgrade is to choose the Custom option, which would make it false because that is considered a clean install no an upgrade

7. It is not possible to “upgrade” a computer running the Windows 7 Ultimate edition to the Enterprise edition without performing a clean installation.
     TRUE
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(v=WS.10).aspx

Another tricky question by the way it is worded..as you see in the link you cannot upgrade from Ultimate to Enterprise. If you do it has to be by doing a clean install.

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

TeCh_GuY
Administrator
Well, this is a learning environment. Please elaborate your findings
and share what your answers are and your reason that they are correct.

On 5/20/13, Jason [via PCR-Tech SC]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You need to review some of your T/F answers. There is a couple that are
> wrong.

> visit

Speedtest Result Counterstrike Tag

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Jason
My bad, I wanted to do it when I initially was going over the questions on your post, but was short on time. I had planned on coming back to do the explanations/corrections but wanted people to know to double check between that post and the time I could get back.

This is really helpful though, thanks again.
JZ

your a beautiful soul. Thank you for the info.
Al

Re: Chapter 2 - Installing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)

Al
Late Sunday night. Just in time. Thank You