Chapter 1 - Introducing Windows 7 (Questions/Answers)
Fill in the Blank
1. The general public in the United States will be able to purchase all of the Windows 7 editions in retail stores except _____a______, ______b______, and ______c______?
a. Windows 7 Starter – OEM only
b. Windows 7 Home Basic – Emerging markets only
c. Windows 7 Enterprise – Volume only
2. The core module that provides all of the Windows 7 capability that isn’t language- or edition specific is called ______a______.
3. When you copy a file to a library, Windows Explorer writes the file to the folder designated as the _____a_____.
a. save location
4. To use federate search, you must download or create XML files for specific sites called _____a_____.
a. Search connectors
5. The only operating system edition that you can upgrade in-place to Windows 7 Professional is ______a_______.
a. Windows Vista Business
6. Upgrading a computer running Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Ultimate using Windows Anytime Upgrade requires _______a_______ megabytes of additional hard disk space.
7. To migrate a computer running Windows XP to Windows 7, you can use a utility called ___a___.
a. User State Migration Tool
8. The new Windows 7 feature that renders all of the windows on the desktop transparent when you mouse over the right end of the taskbar is called _____a_____.
a. Aero Peak
9. The Windows 7 _______a_______ edition is only available in 32-bit version.
a. Windows 7 Starter
10. The maximum amount of system memory supported by Windows 7 Enterprise is _____a_____.
a. Maximum RAM (32-bit) – 4 GB
b. Maximum RAM (64-bit) – 192GB
8. All of the Windows 7 editions have full Homegroup networking support.
FALSE – Windows 7 Starter and Home Basic can only join Homegroup, they are not able to create Homegroups.
9. The Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate editions both contain the same features.
FALSE – Windows 7 Enterprise 10 years product support, Windows 7 Ultimate 5 years product support.
10. You can upgrade Windows 7 Starter edition to any other edition using Windows Anytime Upgrade.
FALSE – You can upgrade from any retail Windows 7 Product to any higher-level retail product.
1. Explain why it is not necessary for Microsoft to create separate installation media for each edition and each language supported by Windows 7.
All of the editions are included on a single DVD disk. The operating system setup program determines which edition to install from the product key you enter during the installation process.
2. Explain how Windows 7 can utilize a USB flash drive to enhance system performance.
ReadyBoost – Windows Vista and Windows 7 enables a computer to utilize an external storage device as a cache for data that would ordinarily be swapped to a (slower) hard disk. In Windows 7 version of ReadyBoost enhances the system’s caching capability by supporting larger caches on as many as eight external devices simultaneously.